Blog Archive

Saturday, August 3, 2013

 “Bible Duties”

Psalm 119:45-48
And I will walk at liberty; for I seek Your precepts.
I will speak of Your testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed.
And I will delight myself in Your commandments, which I love.
My hands also I will lift up to Your commandments, which I love, and I will meditate on Your statutes.

If we seek for the Word of God, we shall find it.  Finding it is our first duty, which involves seeing what it means.

Then we must meditate on the Word which involves application of that Word that we are studying to our very lives.

Meditation will show the infinite beauty and suitability of the Bible to the needs and aspirations of our soul, as well as instruction for the mind, direction for the will, cleansing for the heart, and guidance for the life.  We will develop a love for the Word as we realize that it contains comfort for our afflictions, strength for our duties, peace for our distresses, and hope that transcends death.

The heart that loves the Word will delight in it (Psalm 1:2).  Thus the study and practice of God’s Word is not a matter of dry duty, but of joy.

Those who suspect the authority and dislike the teaching of the Word of God are often ashamed of it.  If we delight in God’s Word, then we will stand with Moses , Daniel, Peter and Paul in refusing to be ashamed of the Word.

The final duty that we have in these verses is that we must earnestly practice the Word (my hands also I will lift up to Your commandments).  Anyone can seek, find, meditate, love, delight and not be ashamed of the Word, but the cost comes when we practice and suffer for the Word of God.  Let the fire of the Word kindle joy in your hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment