Blog Archive

Saturday, August 3, 2013

 “Perseverance”

Psalm 119:31-32   I cling to Your testimonies; O LORD, do not put me to shame. I will run the course of Your commandments, For You shall enlarge my heart.

            Having chosen the way of truth, the Psalmist does not regret his choice, but adheres steadfastly to it, and makes rapid progress in it.

            Notice the words I will cling.  Here is a firm and consistent adhesion to fixed principles.  The battle of the Christian life is won by those who adhere to the Word of God, which provides the strength for perseverance.
            After acknowledging that basic clinging to the Word, Psalmist then states that he will steadfastly run by those commands.  The perseverance of the Christian life is rapid in its attainment of results, and ought to be.  For those of you who experienced a dramatic conversion from sin to salvation you perhaps recall how rapidly you grew in your faith.  Then, perhaps there was that cooling down period where you adapted to being a Christian who just did not rock the boat.  A sameness may have occurred that made you wonder if it was all emotion.  The Psalmist, like the Apostle Paul, says that we are to run that path of truth, which will bring success in our Christian life.
At our youth activity Tuesday, one  15 year-old (known for presenting me with some of the deepest and most difficult questions in the Christian life that I have entertained) asked if there was a way that he could guarantee that his children would become strong Christians without any spiritual problems. [The background is that another teen asked what I thought about a very wayward 14 year-old at her school that came from a strong Christian family. I did not offer an opinion of blame as I did not know either the parents or their child.]
 The boy who asked me about guarantees already is planning to home school, and also take the children off to the mountains to teach them and isolate them from corrupting worldly influences.  He said: “Won’t that guarantee that they will never waver,” and I replied those were noble aspirations, but I cannot say that there is an absolute guarantee.  Salvation is always a work of the Holy Spirit, and thus we present the Christian Gospel, example the Christian life, and pray for that child to receive the Savior and grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Savior.
 Looking at the last part of verse 32, For you shall enlarge my heart, I would say that this took place in the hearts of both the one concerned for the family with the wayward child, and the one who already is concerned for the salvation and spiritual growth of his unborn children that are perhaps several years off.

 Our youth at Bethany do not have to wait until adulthood to begin running the race, the race for you and for them is on—now.  That is the message of verses 31-32.

No comments:

Post a Comment