Blog Archive

Thursday, May 23, 2013

"How to Find Hope When You’re Down"


 

Beginning a Study of Psalm 42 and Psalm 43

 

Psalm 42:1-8--As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.  When shall I come and appear before God?  My tears have been my food day and night, while they continually say to me, Where is your God?  When I remember these things, I pour out my soul within me.  For I used to go with the multitude; I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept a pilgrim feast.  Why are you cast down, O my soul?  And why are you disquieted within me?  Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance.  o my God, my soul is cast down within me; therefore I will remember You from the land of the Jordan, and from the heights of Hermon, from the Hill Mizar.  Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls; all Your waves and billows have gone over me. The Lord will command His lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night His song shall be with me--a prayer to the God of my life.

 

A retired missionary who was trying to make ends meet received a crisp new ten dollar bill in a letter.  She was surprised, but as she read the letter her eyes were distracted by the movement of a shabbily dressed stranger leaning in front of the building.  Thinking he might be in greater financial stress than she, she slipped the bill in an envelope on which she penned “Don’t despair.”  The man tipped his hat, and smiled.  The next day he showed up at the door and handed her 60 dollars.  “Why?”  He replied: Don’t Despair paid five to one.  Well now that was the name of a horse. But I want you to see the reality of hope today.  There was a man on a raft for almost eighty days.  The thing that kept the man alive after his ship sunk was hope.  His lowest days were when he could see no hope and he could not see the possibility of being rescued or making it to the islands or coming into the shipping lanes and being found by one of the vessels on the trade routes.  His hope kept him alive.  Someone has said: “We can live forty days without food, eight days without water, four minutes without air, but only a few seconds without hope.”

 

As we approach Psalm 42 and 43, think over these questions:

1.    Can a Christian be discouraged or depressed?

2.    Are their examples in the Bible of believers who were discouraged?

3.    What does an unsaved person normally do to overcome discouragement?

 

Psalms 42 & 43 point the way to hope & victory over discouragement and depression. The Psalmist suggests that some radical changes in outlook on life must take place.  Today, we will  give some practical reflections on the text as we consider one outlook change:

 

I. First Outlook Change:  Stop looking within yourself and start looking at God!

   A. The Problem:  The Psalmist was looking at himself to solve his problems (42:1-7)

         1. Note 51 personal pronouns (“I” 14 times, “me” 16 times, and “my” 21 times)

         2. Depression had occurred because his feelings had not been relieved (42:3).  Perhaps you have  heard     The psalm in a hotel room:

I’m alone Lord, alone, a thousand miles from home.  There’s no one here who knows my name except the clerk and he spelled it wrong, no one to eat dinner with laugh at my jokes, listen to my gripes, be happy with me about what happened today, and say that’s great.  Non one cares. There’s just this lousy bed and slush in the street outside between the buildings.  I feel sorry for myself and I’ve plenty of reason to.  Maybe I ought to say I’m on top of it, praise the Lord things are great but they’re not.  Tonight it’s all gray slush.

3.    Discouragement had come because his plans had not been fulfilled (42:4).  A 65 year-old recently retired man was sitting on his porch in Kentucky waiting for his social security check.  It came and then he thought that is all I am going to do now for the rest of my life.  He was discouraged, but since he was a Christian he took a pad of paper and began writing down all the gifts, all the blessings, all the talents, and everything he had going for him at age 65.  He even included his mother’s recipe for fried chicken in which she used eleven different herbs and spices.  Then he thought, I could go to the little restaurant in town and ask if they could use a cook, and I could cook my mother’s chicken.  It soon was the most popular item on the menu, and he opened his own restaurant in this small town, and I have been to that little restaurant.  Several years later, he sold that restaurant and the chain of restaurants started to a big corporation for millions of dollars, and then served as their public representative. His name was Harlan Sanders, and the company he sold was KFC.  With hope placed firmly in God, discouragement becomes victory. 

 

4.    Frustration occurred as questions were not answered (42:5-7)

The Psalmist admits that he was so busy looking at himself that he forgot to look at God.  This even happened to Elijah (I Kings 19:4).  There are times when we should examine ourselves, but it is dangerous to do that too much.  Even nature’s beauty failed to give the Psalmist peace as he was drowning in his own trials and troubles (42:6-7)

 

            B. The Solution: Daily look at God and to God (42:8)

  1.    When Jesus looked at nature, He saw the Father’s love and care (Matt. 6:24-34)

 

                2. The Psalmist finally remembers that God is with Him day and   night, and that God must truly be the “God of my life.” (42:8)

The most important thing about any difficult experience is not that we get out of it, but what we get out of it.  If we are thirsting after God, and not just His help and deliverance, then the experience that could cause us depression will actually build us up.  Instead of complaining, we will be praying and praising God.  Life will not be a mirror in which we see only ourselves, it will be a window through which we see God.  And this starts at conversion.  John Wesley accepted Christ with some Moravians, and yet he did not have the joy that he felt he should have.  He knew he was saved by faith in Christ, but the joy he saw in others was not his.  He eventually went to Germany to study with the brethren there, and it was there that the joy of the Lord became his strength. It was there that he let go of being self-centered—how does it all help me, to being God centered—serving God brought the joy. 

It will for you also.   More tomorrow on Psalm 42 & 43 . . .

 

No comments:

Post a Comment