Blog Archive

Friday, March 22, 2013

"The Women Spread the Good News"

 
 
Matthew 28:8:  So they went out quickly from the tomb with fear and great joy, and ran to bring His disciples word.
 
The first people to spread the Good News were the women who had waited faithfully at the tomb of Jesus.  The disciples were in hiding, but the brave women had placed a watch at the tomb.
 
I remember some time ago taking a family to make arrangements for the funeral of the mother of one of our bus children.  The boy was only nine at the time (and is still very active in Bethany more than a decade later).  In the arrangement room the father asked the counselor if it would be OK for the family to stay in the slumber room with the deceased all night.  That was a part of their Philippine cultural heritage, and yet the counselor looked at me with "help me" written on her expression. The rules of Forest Lawn were reviewed, and an exception was not made. However, I  appreciated their diligence and loyalty, and when I came the next day and found about 80 people crammed in the room (I remembered how few had come to my father's viewing the year before)  I announced I was changing nationalities to Philippine before I die. 
 
Mary Magdalene and Mary, wife of Cleopas were of the same thinking as that family that honored their dead with their full attention and devotion.  The reward for that full measure of devotion was to now have the first opportunity to spread the Good News--Jesus has risen!
 
Notice that they went out quickly--they did not remain somber and sorrowful--everything had changed.  They went out with fear and great joy.  So should we. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment